Research Dedicated to the Future
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas. In short, we forge the future.
Contract research for customers from industry and the public sector
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is the leading organization for applied research in Europe. Its research activities are conducted by 67 institutes and research units at locations throughout Germany. The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft employs a staff of 24,000, who work with an annual research budget totaling more than 2.1 billion euros. Of this sum, more than 1.8 billion euros is generated through contract research. More than 70 percent of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft’s contract research revenue is derived from contracts with industry and from publicly financed research projects. International collaborations with excellent research partners and innovative companies around the world ensure direct access to regions of the greatest importance to present and future scientific progress and economic development.
Customers and contractual partners are:
- Service sector
- Public administration
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the largest organization for applied research in Europe
- At present, the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft maintains 72 institutes and research units.
- The majority of 25,000 staff are qualified scientists and engineers.
- More than 2.3 billion euros annual research budget totaling. Of this sum, more than 1.8 billion euros is generated through contract research.
- More than 70 percent of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft’s contract research revenue is derived from contracts with industry and from publicly financed research projects. Almost 30 percent is contributed by the German federal and Länder governments in the form of base funding.
- Affiliated international research centers and representative offices provide contact with the regions of greatest importance to present and future scientific progress and economic development.